Friday, July 2, 2010

We all have those days. You wake up on the wrong side of the bed and your bad morning quickly turn into your bad day. Kids have those days too. Take my 2 year old for example: He woke up in tears this morning at 7 am. Not sure why? For the next 5 hours he looked something like this:



Kids his age are exlporing their emotions. And some say they even get scared and feel out of control when they don't understand their emotions. I tried everything I had in me this morning to try to get him to stop (short of compromising boundries I have tried to put in place)but he just kept on.



Finally I had to step outside...and cry. I was the one who needed a time out. I think its crucial in these situations that parents do this. They can take the time to scream, cry or just say a quiet prayer to try to regain a little bit of sanity. Those of you who practice this I commend you. I think it speaks volumes about your parenting; knowing yourself well enough that you need a time out and actually taking it.

Don't feel weak or unsure of your ability to parent because you break down too. We are all human and need some sort of release from our stresses. I'm not sure how dads feel, but as moms we tend to try to take on too much and not let our fellow moms help when we need it that day. Don't feel ashamed. Because your fellow moms have those days too. Even if they don't want to admit it. Unless they are taking some very strong happy pills!

One last note. If you need help, ask! And for heavens sake if its offered, take it! And those of you who might not need the help that day, please offer it! We gotta stick together.

2 comments:

Molly said...

I totally agree. This week has been stressful for me. I've been bleeding, and while the doctor says the baby is just fine, it is really stressing me out. Two nights ago I was home alone and G was in the tub. I got really weak and hot and had to immediately crumple on the bathroom floor. It scared me so badly that I pulled G out of the tub right away in case I passed out. I then plopped him (and myself) on the living room floor and let him cry while I tried to figure out what to do. I picked up the phone and called my friend. I've never actually called anyone for help. It actually felt really good to reach out to someone.

Tonight she asked if she could bring me dinner and I didn't even hesitate. I just said, "That would be great."

I think so often we don't want to burden people, but sometimes we just need to let people help us out. That's what we're all here for, right?

Trinity said...

I agree. I know its hard for me to accept help for the very reason. I don't want to burden people. It is so great that you had someone there to offer their help and I'm glad that you received it.

Is everything ok with the baby? Have you seen the doctor?