Wednesday, September 1, 2010

I recently took a trip to California with my kids to visit their dad's side of the family. I had my brother in law's help on the way there but on the way back it was me...and two kids. I actually had multiple people ask me in the airport, "you're flying with 2 kids by yourself? You must be brave..." and I usually finished their sentences for them by adding "...or stupid!"

I thought that getting through security would be my biggest hurdle. But really, it wasn't that bad. I was blessed with patient and helpful people behind me and (what appeared to be) airport employees filled with sympathy.

Our flight was delayed so we waited 2 hours after we got through security. Luckily my 2 year old loves airplanes and my 10 month old happened to be sleepy so the 2 hours flew by.

When we got on the plane i had a strategy. I would sit my the window with the baby on my lap and my toddler would sit in the middle. Then NO ONE would sit next to us. But when the flight attendant announced that it was a full flight my hopes were crushed. A very nice man sat down next to my son and I immediately thanked him for being so brave as to sit in our row.

The first 30 minutes were a breeze but then the kids started getting antsy. So I broke out my "go to", my "lifesaver", my DVD player and put in a movie. But regardless of attempts to charge it, the screen flashed "LOW BATTERY". So we watched the first 5 minutes of Monsters Inc. before it completely died.

After that it got a little rocky. The baby was still tired and wouldn't go to sleep. My son wanted to do everything but sit down and keep his seat belt on. So I did what any mother would do...I broke out the bribe food. I packed M&M's in case something like this were to occur. I put them in his snack catcher so he had to work to get them. And after 10 minutes of rocking my screaming baby she finally fell asleep in my arms.

By the time it was time to get off the plane the guy sitting in our row said that my kids were very well behaved and complimented my mothering skills!

Turns out it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be...but I won't be doing it again anytime soon :)

I commend those of you who are outnumbered :)

Keep it up!

1 comment:

Cassy said...

You are an awesome mom!